It was started in 1295 overlooking the Menai Straight, but never completely finished, work finally ceasing in 1320. The inner bailey was protected by six towers and two gateways, the outer by twelve smaller towers and two gates. Ships could dock at a special fortified castle gate to prevent a siege. A well preserved concentric design castle, the last of the series to be built in North Wales and probably the finest in terms of defensive capabilities.
Cadw, open all year.
|Off the A545, north east of Menai Bridge.|
|Castle St, Beaumaris, Isle of Anglesey LL58 8AP|