Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales

CWM CAMLAIS CASTLE


CWM CAMLAIS CASTLE
Photo ©Paul R. Davis

Cwm Camlais, also known as Camlais or Blaencamlais, is thought to have been built by Humphrey de Bohun Earl of Hereford in the 13th Century and it was destroyed in 1265. It seems to have consisted of just a single round stone tower, 40 feet in diameter, on a rock motte surrounded by an earth bank. The lower half of the tower remains buried in debris.


Photo ©Paul R. Davis Photo ©Paul R. Davis

Aerial photo ©Paul R. Davis

 

Directions
Off the A4215, 3 miles south east of Sennybridge

 



VIEW LARGER MAP IN NEW WINDOW

 
© Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales