Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales

CASTELL DEUDRAETH


CASTELL DEUDRAETH
Castell Deudraeth, © Ian Dalgliesh and licensed for reuse under cc-by-sa/2.0

Also known as Castell Aber Ia and Castell Gwain Goch, it is thought to have been built by the Welsh in 1188 on a rocky outcrop overlooking Portmeirion by the grandsons of Owain Gwynedd. It was demolished in 1860 by the owner of the nearby castellated mansion and only a ruined wall and a rock cut ditch is now visible. Open.


 

Directions
In woodland above Portmeirion, Gwynedd

 



VIEW LARGER MAP IN NEW WINDOW

 
© Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales