The motte and bailey is thought to have been built by Roger de Montgomery shortly after 1086. The mound is 80m in diameter across the base, 52m across the top, and stands 11m high and is used as a bowling green. It became a royal castle in 1138 and is likely to have been fortified in stone around this time although nothing remains. It was abandoned in the 14th century.
Photos Gregg Archer