Elsdon Castle, also known as Elsdon Mote Hills, is the best preserved medieval motte and bailey castle site in Northumberland. It was built by Robert de Umfraville in about 1080 and stands on a natural spur of a hill. Impressive earthworks remain of the tall, 48 feet high and 250 feet in diameter (150 feet wide across the top) motte. The kidney-shaped bailey is 220 feet by 160 feet in size. Elsdon Castle is thought to have been abandoned after it was superseded by the nearby Harbottle Castle.
Open to the public.
|On the B6341, off the A68, 25 miles north west of Newcastle|
|Elsdon, Northumberland NE19 1AB|