It started an early 15th century timber framed house, which was then extended in brick once a licence to crenellate had been granted in 1439. It was then greatly extended in the 17th and 19th centuries. There is no outer wall as the site was never fortified.
|Off the A12/B1018, 5 miles south east of Braintree|
|Witham, Essex, CM8 1SP|