It was built in 1277, the first of the chain of great fortresses built By King Edward 1 across the North Wales coastline. It was protected by a moat and the River Dee from which it could be supplied under siege. Four sided with a tower in three of the corners, and a great tower, or keep, outside the fourth corner. It was slighted in 1652 after finally surrendering to the Parliamentary forces and much of the stonework was then demolished to prevent it being re-fortified. The town was also protected by a ditch and wooden defences following an attack by the Welsh in 1282.
CADW, open April to September.
|In the centre of town by the river, on the A548|
|Flint, CH6 5PH|