A fort has stood on this site on the northern coast of Guernsey since at least 1680. At the end of the 18th century the original fortification, known as Fort L'Angle, was expanded. The work was completed in 1805 and the new fort named after the then Lieutenant Bailiff Eleazar Le Marchant. A large barracks was added in 1854 but these have since been demolished. It is now used as a rifle range.
|La Fontenelle, Guernsey|