A licence to crenellate Hazelwood Castle was granted in 1290. Little remains of the mediaeval structure as it was totally rebuilt in the 17th and 18th centuries into a Georgian mansion. The private chapel dating from 1286 still exists in its original mediaeval form. For many years it was owned by the Carmelite Brotherhood, who also owned Allington Castle in Kent, but it is now a luxury hotel and wedding venue.
|Off the A64, 3 milles south west of Tadcaster|
|Paradise Ln, Hazlewood, North Yorkshire LS24 9NJ|