There is a ruined keep and two circular towers dating from around 1200 in Mulgrave Woods. It was extended in the 15th and 16th centuries but was destroyed in 1647 during the Civil War. The ruins remain as a park feature for New Mulgrave Castle that was built 1km to the north east as a replacement 150 years ago.
The woods are only open dawn to dusk on Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays, June to April inclusive.
|8 miles north west of Whitby, N. Yorkshire, off the A174|