Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales

SANDOWN BARRACK BATTERY


SANDOWN BARRACK BATTERY
Photo Dave Parker

It is high above the sea on the edge of a cliff about a mile south west of Sandown Fort. Armed initially with five 7" RML guns, these were replaced by two 10" RML guns in 1891 and later by two modern 6" BL guns in 1901. It is now a public flower garden.


Photo Dave Parker Photo Dave Parker

 

Directions
Halfway between Shanklin and Sandown

 



VIEW LARGER MAP IN NEW WINDOW

 
© Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales