The castle was fortified in 1281 by the Bishop of Durham. It was quadrangular in design, with circular towers and curtain walls between the towers and it was surrounded by a large earth mound. By 1600 the castle was in ruins apart from the three-storey south-east tower which still stands almost to full height. Parts of the building were rebuilt in the 17th century.
|10 miles south of Lincoln, off the A607|