The Bishop's Palace was built at the end of the 14th century with buildings set around a square courtyard. This was the residence of the Bishop of Southwell, as well as being used on occasion by the Archbishop of York. It was occupied in 1647 by Parliamentry forces during the Civil War and was badly damaged, leading to the roofless ruins now standing. The Great Hall was converted into a house in the 18th century, and this in turn formed the basis for the present residence, the 1907 Bishop's Manor.
|A612, 5 miles west of Newark|