A manor house fortified in the 15th century after Sir Thomas Browne, the Comptroller and Treasurer to King Henry VI, was granted a licence to crenellate in 1448. There are 4 towers on the western side and between the 2 northerly towers a timber-framed house has since been built, later refaced with red brick in the 18th century. It is likely that the missing three other curtain walls also had a similar design with towers to produce a square form. On the south-west side the 15th century gatehouse built of flint with a stone arch still stands.
|Off the A28, 2 miles south of Canterbury||Harbledown, Canterbury CT2 9BH|