Fort Wallington was constructed at the western end of Portsdown Hill overlooking Wallington village between 1861 - 1874. It is the smallest of the hill forts and is six sided in design as it was between the Portsdown and Gosport forts it needed to be able to fire in all directions. It was armed with 17 guns, a mixture of 7-inch RBLs, 64-pounder RMLs and 8-inch RML Howitzers with a single mortar battery for six 13-inch mortars. Like the other Portsdown Hill forts the entrances were protected by Guthrie rolling bridges. The fort was sold to a private owner in April 1961 who demolished most of the fort, which is now used as an industrial estate.
|Directions||Military Road, Fareham PO16 8TT|