It was built by Henry VIII in the 1539 and is smaller in size than nearby Deal Castle. The central circular keep is 75 feet in diameter and is surrounded by only four bastions and a deep dry moat. In was besieged in 1648 by the Parliamentary forces during the Civil War and surrendered after 3 weeks. It has been converted into a stately home which has been used since 1708 as the residence of the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, a position held by the Duke of Wellington and Winston Churchill.
English Heritage, open all year (limited opening during winter months) except when the Lord Warden is in residence.
|On the coast road 2 miles south of Deal.|
|Kingsdown Rd, Walmer, Deal, Kent CT14 7LJ|