A fortified manor house surrounded by a stone curtain wall with a gatehouse was erected on the site in the second half of the 12th century. The present three storey high pele tower was built about the year 1400 and was used as a residence until 1680. In 1775 much of the castle was demolished to provide building stone. The tower has been in ruins since then but now a local Friends of Ayton Castle group are working with Scarborough Borough Council to repair and secure the future of the pele tower.
|Off the A170, 4 miles south west of Scarborough|
|West Ayton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire YO13 9JY|