A large castle built in 1095 and rebuilt in stone in the first half of the 12th century on a hill overlooking the River Tees. In the 13th and 14th centuries the hall, the cylindrical keep (Round Tower) and 3 outer wards (Outer, Middle and Town) were added. The castle was attacked and captured in 1569 and afterwards was left to decay, much of the stone being re-used at Raby Castle.
English Heritage open all year.
|In the town of Barnard Castle.|
|Scar Top, Barnard Castle, Durham, DL12 8PR|