Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales

BROCKHURST CASTLE


BROCKHURST CASTLE
Photo Gregg Archer

It was built around 1154 to guard the main road through Shropshire but it was only in use until the early 13th century when it was abandoned. All that remains visible today are the earthworks comprising two baileys separated by a ditch which are surrounded by a deep ditch averaging 25 foot wide and 8 foot deep. There is no stone remaining from the original curatin wall and tower keep.


 

Directions
Off the B5477, 1/2 mile south of A49 at Church Stretton

 



VIEW LARGER MAP IN NEW WINDOW

 
© Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales