The castle was built on a hill above the River Alun in c.1277 by Welsh allied to the English. It was destroyed by fire in 1283 and then abandoned before it had been completed. Now it is in ruins but part of the tower and curtain wall still stand.
|A541, 5 miles north of Wrexham|
|Wrexham Rd, Caergwrle, Wrexham LL12 9DG|