The first motte & bailey castle was built in 1093 a mile away from the present site. After being destroyed it was rebuilt in 1110 near the town. It was rebuilt in stone in 1171, but only survived until 1215. In 1176 the first ever National Eisteddfod of Wales was held at the castle. In 1244 a new castle was erected with town walls for added protection and it is the remains of this building that still stands overlooking the river. It was badly damaged during the Civil War and until the 18th century it was only used as a prison.
At the beginning of the 19th century a residence, Castle Green House, was built inside the walls incorporating the North Tower. This fell into disrepair in the 1940's and has been allowed to decay further by the owner to the extent that the outer walls need supporting. The castle has recently been bought by Ceredigion Council so that it can be repaired and made safe with the help of The Friends of Cardigan castle.
|In the town, on the A487.|
|Green Street, Cardigan SA43 1JA|