The fort was built in the 1860's as part of the Thames defences. In 1890 a Brennan land based torpedo was added and the launching rails can still be seen leading down to the river. It was used during the 1940's as an anti-aircraft gun site. It is now owned by Robert Brett & Sons and is inside their gravel extraction site, but can be seen from the river footpath that runs next to it. It is very overgrown on the river side.
Private, interior is closed.
|2 miles due west of Cliffe, by footpath leading to Cliffe Creek|