Derby Fort is circular in design, 80 feet in diameter, and is situated on St Michael's Isle, Isle of Man. It was built in 1540 by King Henry V111 with 8 feet thick walls and armed with eight cannons. It was strengthened by the 7th Earl of Derby and Lord of Mann during the Civil War in 1645 to protect the entrance of Derby Haven Bay from against the Parliamentary fleet. A second gun battery was constructed in 1695 on the opposite side of the water near Ronaldsway.
Open to the public.
|St. Michael's Isle, Derbyhaven, Isle of Man|