Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales

EARITH BULWARK


EARITH BULWARK
Aerial photo ©Paul R. Davis

The Earith Bulwark was built in 1643 by Parliamentary forces to protect the bridge where the Huntingdon to Ely road crosses the river. The Bulwark is amongst the most elaborate fortifications in England to have survived from the Civil War and consists of a square earthwork fort with bastions at each of the four corners. A machine gun turret was built on the south bastion during the Second World War.


 

Directions
Off A1123, 10 miles east of Huntingdon

 



VIEW LARGER MAP IN NEW WINDOW

 
© Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales