Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales

NORTH ELMHAM CASTLE


NORTH ELMHAM CASTLE
Photo ©Andy Peacock

The site was originally a Saxon cathedral, until a replacement was built in Norwich, and a Bishop's Palace. The palace was fortified in 1387 but then fell into disrepair and by the 19th century nothing was visible above ground. The remains have now been excavated.

English Heritage


PhotoAndy Peacock PhotoAndy Peacock

 

Directions
B1110, 5 miles north of East Dereham (A47)
North Elham, Norfolk NR20 5LT

 



VIEW LARGER MAP IN NEW WINDOW

 
© Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales