Built by the Welsh in 1240 on a high point with the river on three sides, it was captured in 1287 by King Edward 1. It was strengthened in the 14th century but was then rebuilt as a residence in the 15th century. During the Civil War it was captured by Parliament in 1644 and then slighted, the outer walls being destroyed.
Open to the public.
|On the A484, 9 miles south east of Cardigan.|
|Castle St, Newcastle Emlyn, Carmarthenshire SA38 9A|