Mont Orgueil, also known as Gorey Castle, was begun shortly after 1204 on the site of an Iron Age fort. It was protected by the sea and cliffs on three sides. Much of the seaward side of the castle sremains but northern side facing Mont Saint Nicolas which overlooks the castle and is only 700 feet away was mostly remodelled between 1520 and 1600 to cope with the development of artillery. This includes the new Tudor keep with a battery of guns on top and a huge rampart, the Grand Battery, which were added by King Henry V111 in the 16th century. However as artillery continued to improve it was decided at the end of the 16th century that Mont Orgueil could never be properly protected from cannon on Mont Saint Nicolas. A new fortification know as Elizabeth Castle was started on an island near St Helier after which Mont Orgueil then became an administrative centre and has been run as a museum since 1929.
The castle is managed by Jersey Heritage and is open to visitors.
|Castle Green, Gorey, St Martin JE3 6ET|