The gosport defences were started in 1678 to protect Gosport and Portsmouth harbour and were extended throughout the 18th century. They are mainly built over now, but some remain in the naval barracks.
Charles Fort was 27 foot high with a 60 foot square tower, built in 1678 -79. The armaments were removed in 1742, it was in ruins by 1828 and is now completely built over.
St James Fort was built in 1678 - 79 on Burrow Island. It was in ruins by 1800 and now only part of the stonework remains above ground.
|On the western edge of Gosport around the old town centre adjoining the harbour.|