Sir John des Roches ordered the castle built around 1330 on Grosnez Point. The walls are of local granite and are thickest on the landward side. The castle's position on a clifftop 200 feet above the sea means that the natural features of the site protect it on three sides. A ditch dug into the rock provides protection on the fourth side. The remains of ruined walls are still present and open to the public. In 1483 the Seigneur of St Ouen was granted a License to Crenelate and the Governor then allowed the castle to be demolished and the stone reused to fortify his new St.Ouen's Manor.
|La Ville la Bas, Jersey|