It stands on a high ridge above the town of Runcorn with views across the Mersey. Construction started around 1200, but the remaining stonework dates from the early 14th century. The castles was besiged twice during the Civil War and by 1650 the walls were badly damaged. The 1450 gatehouse was then used as a courthouse until 1730 when a new one was built. Most of the stone from the castle has been reused for buildings in the town.
|On the eastern edge of Runcorn, off the A558|
|Halton, Runcorn, Cheshire WA7|