In 1756 these high earth banks were the first northern lines of defence for Portsmouth. The moat was added in 1860 when all the fortifications around Portsmouth were strengthened. The construction is mainly of earth, but some of the brick gun ports can still be seen. Generally overgrown, but the whole length is accessible.
Open to the public.
|Along the north bank of Portsea Island, yards south of the A27(J12)-A3 junction|