|or select from the map.|
The Island of Jersey has fortifications all around its coastline. Through the 12th to 16th centuries the primary fortification was Mont Orgueil and then Elizabeth Castle until the end of the 18th century. Then a number of artillery forts and towers were built to protect against invasion from France.
In 1779, twenty two round towers, Conway's Towers, and one square tower were constructed, with three Martello towers being added between 1808 and 1814, and another five between 1834 and 1837. Now only 17 of the towers remain, and seven of the Martellos.
Between 1780 and 1840 a number of artillery forts were also constructed around the coast.
|© Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales|