It was built in 1068 as a motte and bailey castle in the south west corner of a large five acre Roman site, and at some point a second motte was added, probably in the 12th century. Two gates, the walls and the 12th century stone keep are still standing. The courthouse was added in the 19th century. The castle was captured in the Civil War but was not slighted as it was mainly used as a prison which continued until the end of the 19th century.
Open all year. A restoration programme is underway in 2013.
There is almost nothing left of the original Roman town walls apart from Newport Arch and the foundations of the East Gate. A new wall and gates were constructed in the 13th century to protect the cathedral. The Potter Gate, Priory Gate (rebuilt in 1816) and Exchequer Gate are still standing.
To the south side of the new walls and close to the cathedral is the remains of the 12th century Bishop's Palace which was fortified in the 14th century. The Alnwick tower was added in 1430.
|In the city centre.|
|Castle Hill, Lincoln LN1 3AA|