The present castle was built between 1806 and 1814, and is an outstanding example of gothic revival architecture. Originally it was a 16th century hall built between two towers dating from the 13th century. It was closed in 1937 and the roof was removed in 1957.
Close by (below) are the remains of an early motte or a fortified tower house.
|Off the A6, 5 miles south of Penrith|
|Lowther, Penrith CA10 2HH|