Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales

MERE CASTLE


MERE CASTLE
Photo Andrew Tivenan

Erected on Castle Hill, north of the church, by the Ist Earl of Cornwall in 1253 it had rectangular corner towers with a round tower on the sides. It was abandoned after 200 years use and by the 17th century it was in ruins, the stone having been removed for local building. Nothing now remains above ground.


Photo Andrew Tivenan Photo Andrew Tivenan Photo Andrew Tivenan Photo Andrew Tivenan

 

Directions
A303, 10 miles east of Wincanton

 



VIEW LARGER MAP IN NEW WINDOW

 
© Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales