The castle was started in 1246 when the keep which forms the north east tower was built. The other 4 towers were added later in the 13th century. It was abandoned in the 16th century, and by the 18th century, having also suffered damage during the Civil War, much of the stone had been removed. At the end of the 20th century it was completely derelict and overgrown but the ruins have now been renovated and opened to the public in 2006.
Open all year.
|On the A478, 1 mile south of the A40|