Fort Nelson is 2000 yards east of Fort Wallington and is a six sided fort, protected by a deep dry ditch, built between 1861 - 1870. The armament consisted of 30 guns, a mixture of 64-pounder RMLs, 7-inch RBLs and 6.6-inch howitzers. There were also three mortar batteries, each containing three 13-inch mortars. Access to the fort was via two Guthrie rolling bridges. Fort Nelson was disarmed in 1907 and Hampshire County Council bought the site in 1978.
It is currently leased by the Royal Armouries as its Museum of Artillery. Open daily.
|On the B2177, the cliff top road overlooking Portsmouth.|
|Portsdown Hill Road, Fareham PO17 6AN|