An early 13th century construction with a moat, originally known as Newland Castle. The gatehouse and curtain walls were added at the end of the 13th century. The castle was slighted after the Civil War by the demolition of the south east curtain wall but was repaired in 1675 and then restored at the beginning of the 20th century when the gatehouse and curtain wall were repaired and new crenolations added.
|Off the A466, 6 miles west of Goodrich|
|Welsh Newton, Monmouth NP25 5RP|