Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales

PLYMOUTH EASTERN DEFENCES


Staddon Fort
Photo Steve Johnson

Opposite the city stands Mount Batten Tower. To the south, on the high ground, are Staddon and Stamford Forts, supported by Staddon Point, Staddon Heights, Bovisand, Lentney, Renney, Lord Howards, Watch House, Frobisher and Brownhill batteries. These formed the eastern Plymouth Defences.


Stamford Fort photo Steve Johnson Stamford Fort photo Charles Taylor Staddon Fort photo Steve Johnson Bovisand & Statton Point Batteries Bovisand & Statton Point Batteries Renney Battery photo Steve Johnson

Staddon Heights Batteries 1782 Abandoned in 1847
Staddon Point Battery & Bovisand Battery 1847 Built close to the water, it was strengthened in 1869 by the construction of Bovisand Battery with its armoured granite casemates and 21 guns beneath it on the shore. By the 1890s it had four Quick Firing guns as armament. Still in use in World War 2. Has been used as a diving school, but this has closed down again (2003).
Watch House Battery c1870 Equipped with one 12.5" RML, with two 6" Breech Loading guns added in 1895. Still in use in World War 2.
Frobisher Battery c1870 Armed with one 12.5" RML in the 1890's.
Brownhill Battery c1870  
Staddon Fort 1862-69 9 sided, surrounded by a deep dry ditch, and equipped with 21 guns. This was the central defence of Staddon Heights and was connected to the other gun batteries by roads or dry ditches. Part of the fort is still used by the Navy.
Lord Howards Battery c1900 Armed with two 6" Breech Loading guns.
Stamford Fort 1869 A five sided fort, now a Scheduled Ancient Monument. Private.
Lentney Battery c1900 Armed with two 6" Breech Loading guns until 1910. Still in use in World War 2. Well preserved easy to view.
Renney Battery c1900 Equipped with three 9.2" Breech Loading guns. Still in use in World War 2.

 

Directions
Along the east coast of The Sound

 


 
© Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales