Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales

PLYMOUTH WESTERN DEFENCES


Scraesdon Fort
Photo Steve Johnson

Scraesdon and Tregantle Forts were built between 1858 and 1868 as part of the western Plymouth Defences to guard against landings at Whitesand Bay.

The defences were later supplemented towards the end of the century by new gun batteries. In 1894 there were three 12.5" Rifled Muzzle Loading (RML) guns with two of the new 6" Breech Loading (BL) guns at Whitesand Bay Battery and four 9" High Angle RML guns at Tregantle Down Battery.


Tregantle Fort photo Steve Johnson Tregantle Fort photo Steve Johnson

 

Directions
Scraesdon Fort - A374, west of Antony, Cornwall PL11 3AH
Tregantle Fort - B3247, south of Antony, Cornwall PL11 3AZ

 



VIEW SCRAEDONS FORT IN NEW WINDOW


VIEW TREGANTLE FORT IN NEW WINDOW

 
© Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales