Construction started in 1071 on a hill overlooking the town with a 100 foot high keep and a curtain wall which were added in 1150. It started to decay during the 16th century and was generally derelict for the next 300 years although the keep was repaired in 1760 which has kept it in good condition. At some point during this time the south wall collapsed. An army barracks and store were built on the site during the 19th century but these have since been demolished.
Managed by English Heritage.
|Off A6108, 2 miles south west of Scotch Corner|
|Riverside Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 4QW|