A gun fort built between 1559 and 1567 to protect the naval harbour at Chatham. It was extended in 1600 when the gatehouse at the rear and the defensive ditch were added, and the north and south towers were increased in height. A wooden pallisade was built in front of the gun platform. After the failure of the Chatham defences during a Dutch raid in 1667 the castle was converted into an ammunition store, the defensive role being taken up by two new forts, Gillingham and Cockham Wood, which were built in the 1670's. It ceased to be used after the Second World War.
English Heritage, open April - September.
|Off the A228, about 2 miles north of Rochester|
|Kent, ME2 4XG|