A fortified and moated Bishop's palace constructed in 1285. The waters of St. Andrew's Spring were used to make a wide moat to surround a wall with towers at the four corners. There was one entrance protected by a strong gatehouse made from two octagonal towers. These buildings are now in ruins after a Bishop in the 1550's sold the lead from the roofs. New buildings were added later to make the palace a residence for the bishop again.
|In the centre of Wells, near the cathedral|
|Market Place, Wells BA5 2PD|