Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales

WOOLER CASTLE


WOOLER TOWER
Photo Andrew Tivenan

Green Castle is well-preserved ringwork that is situated on a high promontory above the Humbleton Burn and overlooking the town of Wooler. It is surrounded on three sides by a ditch and counterscarp bank. It is D-shaped in plan and measures approximately 150 feet across internally. It was in use until the beginning of the 12th century when it is thought the castle was moved to the town nearby.


Green Castle Wooler photo Andrew Tivenan Green Castle Wooler photo Andrew Tivenan

The ruined remains of Wooler Tower stand on a natural hill in the centre of the town. It is thought there was an earlier timber castle on this site in the 12th century but it had been abandoned by 1255 and not reused until the tower was built in the early 16th century.

Wooler Tower photo Andrew Tivenan Wooler Tower photo Andrew Tivenan Wooler Tower photo Andrew Tivenan Wooler Tower photo Andrew Tivenan Wooler Tower photo Andrew Tivenan

 

Directions
Green Castle is 1 mile west of the A697 at Wooler, 12 miles west of Bamburgh
Wooler Tower is in Church Street, Wooler, Northumberland NE71 6NP

 



VIEW LARGER MAP OF GREEN CASTLE IN NEW WINDOW

VIEW LARGER MAP OF WOOLER TOWER IN NEW WINDOW

 
© Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales