Morlais was one of two major fortifications built by Gilbert de Clare, the other being Caerphilly Castle. Building started in 1287 on the top of a hill, but it was probably never completed before it was captured and destroyed by Madog ap Llywelyn in 1294. After this it was abandoned, probably as it was too remote to be used as a residence and also as de Clare died in 1295. It was a large fortification with a curtain wall and six towers, surrounded by a deep ditch cut into the rock. The site was divided into an inner ward which contained the 60 feet diameter keep on the north side and a larger, outer ward with its own large tower at the southern end. Little remains above ground apart from some bits of the curtain wall but the vaulted basement of the south tower is well preserved.
|Off the A465, 3 miles north of Merthyr Tydfil|