Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales

VERNE CITADEL & BATTERY


VERNE CITADEL
Photo Charles Taylor

The Verne Citadel was built between 1848 and 1869 on the highest point of Portland Island. Two sides are protected by steep cliffs, the other two by a deep ditch carved out of the rock. It was armed with eight guns, including two of the 12.5", 38 ton Rifled Muzzle Launched (RML) guns. It is now used as a prison. Private.

Verne High Angle Battery was built nearby to the south in 1892. It had four modified 9" guns which were intended to be fired at high elevation to hit the decks, rather than the heavily armoured sides, of attacking ships. At the turn of the century these were replaced by two 6" modern Breech Loading (BL) guns. It is now derelict.

Additional support was provided by Breakwater Fort and East Weare Battery.


Photo Charles Taylor Photo Charles Taylor Photo Charles Taylor Photo Charles Taylor Photo Charles Taylor Verne High Angle Battery photo Don McKenzie

 

Directions
The Verne is on the north eastern side of Portland. Verne Battery lies a few hundred yards to the sout
Verne Citadel - Portland, Dorset DT5 1EQ

 



View Larger Map of Verne Citadel

View Larger Map of High Angle Battery

 
© Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales