The late 12th century keep stands on the site of the Roman fort of Brovacum but by 1269 the castle was allowed to fall into decay. A licence to crenelate was granted in 1309 to protect against Scottish invaders at which time the curtain walls were built. Left in poor condition it was rebuilt in the 16th century but its defences were destroyed in 1648 during the Civil War. It was restored in 1660 by Lady Clifford, who also owned Appleby, Brough, Pendragon and Skipton castles, but has since been left to decay, some stone being used for Appleby Castle. The earthworks of the Roman fort can still be seen.
English Heritage open all year.
|2 miles south east of Penrith, off the A66|
|Moor Lane, Penrith CA10 2AA|