It was started in the 11th century but the two towers forming the gatehouse date from 1200. The other four towers are later and from the 13th century. It was slighted and almost demolished during the Civil War but was restored in 1658, along with Brough, Brougham and Appleby castles, by Lady Clifford. It remains well preserved and part of the castle is still used as a residence. Open all year.
Up on the hill overlooking the castle are the remains of the gun battery that was used to bombard the castle into surrender in 1645 during the Civil War.
|In the town centre|
|The Bailey, Skipton, North Yorkshire BD23 1AW|